Meet the Program
The OPTIFAST® program is a medically-supervised weight-management program that closely monitors and assesses progress towards better health and emotional well-being. Typical results at 26 weeks1:
Loss in 26 weeks
OPTIFAST® patients who actively participated in a 26-week medically-monitored program typically lost approximately 30 lbs.
Compared to a reduced-calorie food-based* program
Average loss of
total fat mass
Compared to a 4.4 kg loss observed in observed in individuals in a reduced-calorie food-based program program*
Decrease in waist
Compared to a 7.7 cm decreased observed in reduced-calorie food-based program*
Weight loss with the OPTIFAST® progam can help lower blood glucose vs baseline 2,3
Average decrease in
Weight loss with the OPTIFAST® progam can help manage hypertension2,4
Average decrease in
Weight loss with the OPTIFAST® progam can help manage cholesterol levels2,4
* modified version of Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)
The OPTIFAST® program is a medically-supervised weight-management program that closely monitors and assesses progress towards better health and emotional well-being.
AFTER 1 YEAR
OPTIFAST® patients who actively participate in a 26-week program typically lose approximately 30 lbs. and maintain approximately a 25-lb. weight loss at 1 year.1
AFTER 2 YEARS
OPTIFAST® patients maintained an average weight loss of approximately 19 lbs. after 2 years and 15 lbs. after 3 years from starting the program.5
“The OPTIFAST program helped me to reset the way I thought about food to find self-control when I did not have it before. If I could say anything to my old self, it would be just do it. It's going to be the best thing you ever did for your health.”
“There was a time when I would walk in the park with my family and had to sit down to make it 3/4 of a mile. My doctor was going to put me on diabetic and heart medicine. Thanks to weight loss with the OPTIFAST program, I no longer needed it!”**
“After losing weight with OPTIFAST® program, I experienced improvements in my blood pressure and cholesterol levels and my doctor took me off my medication!”**
OPTIFAST® patients who actively participate in a 26-week medically-monitored program typically lose approximately 30 lbs. OPTIFAST® patients typically maintained a 25-lb. weight loss at 1 year.
The OPTIFAST® Team is working with professional associations in the research and treatment of Obesity.
OPTIFAST® is an active member of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) and participates in the Corporate Advisory Council of The Obesity Society (TOS) and The Obesity Medicine Association (OMA). References to these associations are not intended as an endorsement of the OPTIFAST® program.
- Ard JD, Lewis KH, Rothberg A, et al. Effectiveness of a total meal replacement program (OPTIFAST® program) on weight loss: results from the OPTIWIN study. Obesity. 2018; doi: 10.1002/oby.22303.
- Ard JD, Schroeder MC, Kivilaid K, et al. Practical application of a comprehensive weight management program in patients with and without metabolic syndrome. J Obes Weight Loss Ther. 2014;S4:007.
- Drawert S, Bedford K, Largent D. Change in glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol with weight loss in medically obese patients. Obes Res. 1996;4(Suppl 1):67S.
- Wadden TA, Foster GD, Letizia KA, Stunkard AJ. A multicenter evaluation of a proprietary weight reduction program for the treatment of marked obesity. Arch Intern Med. 1992;152(5):961-966.
- Krishnaswami A, Ashok R, Sidney S, et al. Real-World Effectiveness of a Medically Supervised Weight Management Program in a Large Integrated Health Care Delivery System: Five-Year Outcomes. Perm J. 2018;22:17-082.